Friday, October 14, 2011







I thought it might be of interest to see an old reference photo that I used in doing one of the past mercado paintings. By using a snapshot I am able to go back to the experience of standing in that place and more accurately drawing from it. What creates a better story though are the feelings I bring into the painting. When working on a painting I love different things at different times. The lady in the lower right hand corner with the yellow sweater and red scarf had a beautiful face and was rather tickled that I was taking a photo of the mercado. The beautiful white fabric draped in the basket represents such elegance to me. As I am painting each person I really wonder about who they are, what goes on in their lives and where are they now?

No comments:

Post a Comment