Friday, September 9, 2011

ART & INTENTION

Art & Intention

Ritual and prayer function as the curtain between myself and the mundane world of petty distractions. When I enter the studio I am mindful to recognize it as sacred space. It is my sanctuary for extracting the best part of who I am and putting it into my work.

Before I begin working I stop and examine how I'm feeling emotionally. If I need to I will journal to purge the trashbin of my mind or meditate to center myself in stillness. After those exercises I burn sage and invoke the 7 sacred directions ( East, South,West, North, Above, Below & Within). I ask for guidance "Please help me to join my heart and my hand and bring what is most authentic into this work. It is my greatest intent for this to bring joy, insights, healing and beauty to those who look upon it."

In entering this state of absolute "mindful presence" I allow the dross of the day to settle outside the sanctum of the studio as I enter into communion with my spirit, the paint and the subject I am engaging. The process is a reminder of my purpose in making art. I am offering a gift from my spirit to the external world.


No comments:

Post a Comment